My name is Leo and I have the privilege to be your coach this summer season. I hope you were able to get to familiarize with other coaches and swimmers within the club during these past two weeks. As you enter into Intermediate B, I hope everyone will carry a strong sense of anticipation, excitement, and eagerness because today is the official start of your summer swimming experience!
For those of you who do not yet know me, I have been swimming for the Richmond Kigoos for 11 years and this will be my fourth year coaching. It is the family-oriented and friendly atmosphere of summer swimming which draws me back to Kigoos every year. I hope you will experience the same. I have coached all group levels from Tater Tots to Seniors. Some of you may recognize me in the Tsunami Maintenance Program as well. Besides swimming, I enjoy skipping (jump-rope), play racquet sports like badminton and tennis, play the guitar, fly my RC helicopter, and listen to Japanese music.
My 4 general goals for you this season:
1. To promote an environment in which you can establish friendships within our Int B group and across groups
2. To encourage and boost your confidence and love in swimming
3. To stay fit and have a meaningful and safe season
4. To attend swim practices/social events/swim meets
My 4 technical goals for you this season:
1. To instruct you the four strokes: Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle
2. To improve on speed and endurance in your strokes during swim meets
3. To improve on flip-turns, touch-turns, and diving off blocks
4. To be analytical and appreciate the science of swimming
For the remainder of May, each week will focus on one stroke in preparation of our swim meets in June. Our stroke of this week will be freestyle, with lots of emphasis on kicking, finishing our pulls (check out Andre’s video!), head and body position, and of course our STRL and 6UWKK (you already know what those are). Take care and see you tonight!
· You will receive your individualized Goal Sheet and a Welcome Letter for your parents tonight, May 12. Please fill out the Goal Sheet and return on Friday, May 16.
· Bring your runners and water bottle to all practices
· Arrive 15 minutes early for warm-up/activation