If you weren’t able to attend the Meet the Coaches session after our morning practice this Saturday, here is a summarized version of some points I covered.
A little bit about myself
- This is my 10th year being part of Kigoos – I trained with the club and have fond memories of my experience, the friends, and the competition. I qualified for provincials every season and placed first two years in a row at provincials for 50 meter butterfly.
- This is also my 5th year coaching – I coached JD for three years and this is now my second year coaching the Junior B group, and I am happy to be back.
- I am a french immersion student who graduated from McMath high school in June 2013, and I am currently attending UBC and will be entering my second year of studies this September.
- Please do your best to arrive on time to practices, and come prepared with running shoes, comfortable clothing (for stretching/running/yoga), water, and sunscreen on sunny days. Sometimes we will be doing dryland activities in the back field, which is why it is especially important to have proper footwear and clothing.
- I am aware that there are many other commitments at this time, but please try to come to 4-5 practices per week. We are focusing on developing and improving our basic skills each practice, which is why it is important that your child try to attend as many practices as they can in order to keep progressing at a steady pace with the rest of the group.
- Please respect the other swimmers in the water, as well as your coach. If there are any issues with this they will not be tolerated, and will be addressed by myself or directed to Danna to solve the problem.
- I would like everyone to be proud of their progress and swimming by the end of the summer, no matter how fast they go. We are going to be working on lots of technique, and at this stage, even though going fast can be fun, I want to make sure we are all swimming correctly. Once we have developed the proper basic skills for each stroke, then we will focus more on speed. As of now, my focus is the little (but very important things!) such as streamlines, body and head position, lots of kick, and proper starts, turns, and finishes.
- I have handed out “get to know me” sheets, and I will be continuing to hand them out next week. Please take the time to think about the goal section. Think about something you want to improve upon or accomplish this summer, and we can try to accomplish it together as a group. Once you have completed the sheet, please bring it back to practice and return it to me.
Other than that, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am around on deck but can also be reached by email, and all of our contact information is available online. I will have a new blog post around every week on this website, so it may be handy for you and your swimmer(s) to read over it together to see what is coming up in terms of practice plans and what to expect.
Thanks for a great start to the season so far! See you on deck.